Hey flisters! I got some sad news. Take a seat. Wait! Grab a piece of cake first, then sit. Are you ready? I am taking the week off. No, please don't cry. I hate when you cry. I'm not vanishing. I plan to read your posts and comment, but I want to unplug a bit. I will have about 90 two-page papers to read this week AND edits for the last fifty pages of DC AND my mother is coming for Thanksgiving.
Before I disappear I want to tell you what I am thankful for this year. (How they are listed does not suggest importance.)
1) I have amazing parents who support and love me (even when I'm being stubborn).
2) I am thankful for my sense of humor. It comes in handy when you're me. How else can I recover from leaving the bathroom with my dress hiked up and stepping in front of twenty students? I am thankful I was wearing nice skivvies. And I am REALLY thankful the student by the door told me BEFORE I taught class.
3) Despite my job loss this year, I have paid all my bills on time; I have food on my table; and I have a roof over my head.
4) I am healthy. My family is healthy. My friends are healthy. This year, many of friends have suffered losses in their family. Thank you for allowing me to hold a tiny bit of your pain as I sat with you.
5) I am thankful for tangerine-colored sunsets and autumn leaves that look like flames. I am thankful for thunderstorms and vibrant blue skies.
6) I am thankful for great writers: J.K. Rowlings, Laurie Halse-Anderson, Markus Zusak, Terri-Lynne DeFino, etc who create new worlds and new characters. They provide the world with more opportunities to love and explore and grow.
7) I'm thankful for cake. (See? Item placement has nothing to do with importance.)
8) I'm thankful that I decided to keep writing. Along these lines, I am thankful that I continue to grow as a writer.
9) I'm thankful that I am the type of person who wants be, and is thankful.
10) I'm thankful for ALL my friends, the ones I see on a regular basis AND the ones here. You guys make me a better person. Thank you! I think the first two minutes of this video (the music video portion) below, captures it. Consider yourself hugged.