So last year in a moment of insanity I wrote 10 promises to myself. You know, resolutions? So let’s take a look see at how I did.
The Ten Promises to Myself for 2010:
1) I will do the half-marathon for the Oklahoma Memorial Marathon again. I did it two years ago and LOVED it. This past summer I was recovering from surgery . . . and I have the round belly to show for it. I can't love and eat cake like I do without some serious exercising. Uh…what marathon?
2) I will continue to read at least four books a month or a total of 48 (including the 12 YA Debut Author Challenge) books for the year. I debated this number, because I tend to read at least two books a week. But in months with heavy editing, reading falls to the side. I KNOW I read this plus some (about 70’ish). I forgot to write down what I read when I got to July…but I had already read 48 books. As far as debut YA/MG authors…Yep I read at least 12:
Paranormalcy by Keirsten White
The Secret Year by Jennifer Hubbard
Replacements Brenna Yovanoff
Matched by Ally Condie
Personal Demons by Lisa Desrochers
Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins
Body Finder by Kim Derting
The Mark by Jen Nadol
Other by Karen Kincy
The Candidates by Inara Scott
The Familiars by Epstein and Jacbson
Match Made in High School by Kristin Walker
Wish by Alexandra Bullen
Princess for Hire by Lindsey Leavit
Plain Kate by Erin Bow
3) I will send my Diyari Chronicles to at least 15 agents. If necessary of course. That statement is either raw optimism or unadulterated delusionment. The line is very thin. I was SOOOOO delusional. Diyari is still in edits. It will probably be in edits this time next year.
4) Continue learning and networking: I'll attend at least one writing conference and take one cooking course. I should at some point take a Spanish class. Hmmm . . . I resolve to think seriously about taking Spanish class in 2011. ;-) I attended the Oklahoma Writer’s Federation Conference. I considered taking a Spanish class.
5) I will finish and edit my NaNo book. Gulp. HAHAHAHAHA! Elements of that story have melted into The Collector. The NaNo story is in the proverbial writer’s trunk. (More like under it.)
6). I will do more research on next writing project and start it. I did start research but not on the project I was thinking of at the time. Another one. A better one. Whooohoo!
7) I will finish book three in the Diyari Chronicles. See that Mandy? You get closure on the trilogy. Okay, so that didn’t happen either. But I did tell her HOW it would end. J
8) I will find other ways to supplement my income. Either looking seriously at private practice (get on insurance panels and embrace the fact I will have to argue with insurance companies) or contacting universities to teach again. I love to warp . . . I mean teach young minds. I did start private practice. And I did teach. I also lost my job….so, uh… I am currently making LESS money.
9) I will get a bigger apartment, even if it means leaving the part of town I love. My books and cooking supplies are suffocating me. Still being suffocated.
10) Do at least four socially minded activities (the memorial marathon does not count). This means doing an outreach project with my church or donating time, items, or money to a charity. There has to be variety. I helped with clean up after the tornados. I helped paint a homeless shelter. I picked up trash in a low SES neighborhood. I helped the Red Cross with their crisis response after the tornado.
Needless to say…I will NOT be making promises to my self next year. Well, I will make one. I promise to continue to do things to improve: myself, my talents, and my relationships.